What is Babywearing?
Babywearing is the practice of wearing or carrying a baby in a sling or carrier. It has been practiced in many cultures for centuries around the world and is gaining in popularity in modern industrialized societies. Babywearing is a way to transport your baby that can be enjoyed from newborn, until toddlerhood and beyond.
Why Choose Babywearing?
Allowing parents to keep babies safe, comfortable and happily in close contact, babywearing has numerous physical and emotional benefits for babies’ development.
Babies are carried for nine months when parents are pregnant but when baby is born, it's a whole new world for them. Luckily babywearing reinstates that closeness again, while also providing numerous benefits to development, both physically and emotionally. The first few months after birth is called the ‘fourth trimester’ - and for good reason, as little ones need parents more than ever as they make the transition into the world.
Babywearing allows parents to build a stronger bond between child and parent. The closeness stimulates a beneficial hormone production (Oxytocin), which results in a more intimate parental bond.
Babywearing also adds a whole new level of convenience – parents simply need place their little one in the carrier and go! This means parents can boost bonding anywhere, at anytime.
What are the Main Benefits of Babywearing?
• Strengthens the bond between parent and baby, as you maintain a closeness throughout your day, especially during the ‘4th trimester’.
• Aids in baby's development, both physically and emotionally – a carried baby is generally calmer thanks to all of her primal/survival needs being met.
• Allows breastfeeding to be done on the go, and discreetly too, if you want to be covered up. As an added bonus, breastmilk production is also boosted with close contact with baby.
• Allows parents or caregivers to be ‘hands-free’ while baby is in the carrier and promotes exploring, discovering and navigating safely and easily, without having to maneuver a stroller. Parents are able to #CarryOn exploring life’s adventures – big and small.
• Promotes early language development. Babies learn by watching faces and babywearing puts little one at conversational height.
• Allows parents to see more of the world through baby's eyes. And babies get to discover their new world from the safety and comfort of their parents’ body.
• Fosters a closeness through toddlerhood. Toddlers can be worn too, reminding them of their ‘home base’, and allowing that bond to continue as they grow.
• Babywearing takes babies back to their safe place and reminds them that we are ‘home’. With babywearing, love carries on.
Where Can I get More Support for Babywearing?
Visit your local sling Library who have a wide choice of slings and carriers available to try and hire. Sling libraries are often run by volunteers and can offer advice and information on babywearing.
There are also Sling Meets that are usually an informal meeting of parents that discuss babywearing and look at slings and carriers that people bring along
For one-to-one advice, a babywearing consultant is trained to help parents choose and fit a carrier that’s right for them and they would usually charge for this advice.
Visit the Ergobaby stand at The Baby Show to try the award-winning Omni 360 carrier and Aura wrap
Learn more at ergobaby.co.uk